In April 2018 the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee published a report on Rail Franchising in the UK. In particular, they were concerned with the DfT’s handling of its (relatively) new “mega-franchise”: GTR. Much of the Committee’s work involved looking at the perceived failings of both the DfT and Govia, the franchisee, during the industrial disputes that had plagued former Southern services. Read the report to completion, however, and a clear theme emerges – that ...
City chiefs in Denmark and Sweden are looking at spending up to €4 billion on what is thought to be the world’s first international metro. Copenhagen and Malmo are investigating the construction of a 22-kilometre tunnel under the Oresund River to link the two metropolises. This week a new working group — called the Oresundsmetro Executive and featuring representatives from the two cities, industry and researchers — was established to firm up the proposals. They plan to use high-speed, ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- timbeau on Hammersmith Bridge: The signs are not good. (22:07, 16 July 2019)
- IslandDweller on Monday’s Friday Reads – 15 July 2019 (21:28, 16 July 2019)
- JohnMF on Night Trains – They’re not dead yet (17:34, 16 July 2019)
- [email protected] on Friday Reads – 12 July 2019 (16:41, 16 July 2019)
- quinlet on Monday’s Friday Reads – 8 July 2019 (21:44, 9 July 2019)