In April 2018 the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee published a report on Rail Franchising in the UK. In particular, they were concerned with the DfT’s handling of its (relatively) new “mega-franchise”: GTR. Much of the Committee’s work involved looking at the perceived failings of both the DfT and Govia, the franchisee, during the industrial disputes that had plagued former Southern services. Read the report to completion, however, and a clear theme emerges – that ...
City chiefs in Denmark and Sweden are looking at spending up to €4 billion on what is thought to be the world’s first international metro. Copenhagen and Malmo are investigating the construction of a 22-kilometre tunnel under the Oresund River to link the two metropolises. This week a new working group — called the Oresundsmetro Executive and featuring representatives from the two cities, industry and researchers — was established to firm up the proposals. They plan to use high-speed, ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- James Bunting on Operation Umbrella: Rebuilding Oxford Circus (06:31, 20 March 2019)
- Chris on 2018 Quiz: Results and Winners (01:54, 20 March 2019)
- ngh on A Study in Sussex Part 5: Up The Junction (14:47, 19 March 2019)
- Graham Feakins on Friday Reads – 15 March 2019 (01:42, 19 March 2019)
- Mikey C on In Pictures: The New Overground Class 172s (11:08, 18 March 2019)