The CEO of GoPro, which manufactures small, stout action cameras, literally can’t make enough of them. The culprit, reports Quartz’s Daniel Wolfe, is a worldwide shortage of one of the modern world’s critical cogs: multilayer ceramic capacitors (MLCCs), which are cheaper than a penny and about the size of a speck of dust. There’s currently a one-year backlog for MLCCs, and the shortage is expected to run through at least 2020. The physics of capacitors are fascinating, but compared to ...
• Tube map of London roads (DiamondGeezer) • Homes England to winch homes onto London rooftops (EnvJ) • Trolley canal boats and canal railways (LowTechMag) • Cycling tunnels under the Tyne dug by hand (Guardian) • Barcelona reversing car dominance with Superblocks (Vox) • Maps of lost subway, streetcar & cablecar lines (UntappedCities) And some of our regular sections: Industry News Podcasts If you have something you feel we should read or include in a future list, email us at ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Long Branch Mike on Night Trains – They’re not dead yet (19:40, 22 July 2019)
- Jim R on Friday Reads – 19 July 2019 (16:38, 22 July 2019)
- Milton Clevedon on Monday’s Friday Reads – 22 July 2019 (15:45, 22 July 2019)
- Brian Butterworth on SSR: Towards the Proposed March 2020 Timetable (10:57, 19 July 2019)
- Aleks on Monday’s Friday Reads – 15 July 2019 (19:59, 17 July 2019)