Why Roman concrete still stands strong while modern version decays: Scientists have cracked the secret to Roman water-based structures’ strength – and findings could help today’s builders. Their structures are still standing more than 1,500 years after the last centurion snuffed it: now the Romans’ secret of durable marine concrete has finally been cracked. The Roman recipe – a mix of volcanic ash, lime (calcium oxide), seawater and lumps of volcanic rock – held together piers, ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- ngh on Why capacity won’t increase on Southeastern Metro any time soon (00:54, 17 March 2018)
- Walthamstow Writer on TfL Confirm Elizabeth Line Fares (23:20, 16 March 2018)
- answer=42 on Garden Bridge Review: National Audit Office Transcript (19:03, 16 March 2018)
- Long Branch Mike on Friday Reads – 16 March 2018 (17:55, 16 March 2018)
- Phil Harmonic on Southeastern Detraining: Investigation over Assumption (14:44, 16 March 2018)