Why Roman concrete still stands strong while modern version decays: Scientists have cracked the secret to Roman water-based structures’ strength – and findings could help today’s builders. Their structures are still standing more than 1,500 years after the last centurion snuffed it: now the Romans’ secret of durable marine concrete has finally been cracked. The Roman recipe – a mix of volcanic ash, lime (calcium oxide), seawater and lumps of volcanic rock – held together piers, ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Walthamstow Writer on Crossrail: Breaking Down the Crisis (19:13, 16 December 2018)
- Greg Tingey on The London Reconnections 2018 Christmas Quiz (14:57, 16 December 2018)
- Aneconspeaks on Friday Reads – 14 December 2018 (18:28, 16 December 2018)
- Herned on Crossrail: A Hole New World (09:45, 13 December 2018)
- Aleks on Further Oyster Expansion Beyond London Under Discussion (20:05, 12 December 2018)