Conservative MP Patrick McLoughlin has become Minister of Transport as a result of the current Cabinet reshuffle (previous occupant Justine Greening being moved to International Development). There are suggestions that the move was at least in part to open up the option of adding a third runway at Heathrow. McLoughlin was Aviation Minister between 1989 and 1992 and Mayor Johnson has already begun vocally arguing that this is the case in the media. In addition to Greening’s departure, ...
Next month it will be the 60th anniversary of the Harrow and Wealdstone rail accident, Britain’s worst civilian rail disaster. We wrote extensively about the accident last year, but for those unfamiliar with the consequences, Harrow represented a milestone in railway history, effectively marking the point from which Automatic Warning Systems (AWS) became inevitable countrywide. It also had a wider effect on the country at large, playing a crucial role in the creation of the modern ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Herned on A short history of Crossrail 2 (Part 1) (16:06, 19 August 2019)
- Brian Butterworth on Hammersmith Bridge: The signs are not good. (14:45, 19 August 2019)
- AlanBG on Friday Reads – 16 August 2019 (14:02, 19 August 2019)
- Paul S on Monday’s Friday Reads – 12 August 2019 (20:02, 16 August 2019)
- Betterbee on Monday’s Friday Reads – 5 August 2019 (02:23, 12 August 2019)