In Pictures: The Old Lift Passage at Notting Hill Gate

9 comments

The lifts were removed from Notting Hill Gate station when it was redeveloped at the end of the 1950s. The old passage to the lifts themselves, however, still exists (although it is now not accessible to the public). The passage has remained untouched since that closure and, as the pictures below show, now presents an interesting snapshot of some of the advertising that graced the station towards the end of that decade.

All of these pictures are courtesy of London Underground. Several more can be found on flikr here.

The passage as it is today
A selection of posters – including several instances of Victor Galbraith’s elephant poster for London Transport
Poster for Royal Blue (who used to run coaches between Victoria and the South West) by British poster artist Daphne Padden
Cars for hire from Chain Garages on Hanger Lane
Evening News was one of the early London papers. It became successful under Lord Northcliffe at Associated Press, but was eventually merged into the Evening Standard (until then its rival) in the 1980s. “FLE” refers to the old Fleet Street Telephone Exchange
Two film posters and two Theatre posters. The film posters are for Too Many Crooks (1959) and The Horse’s Mouth (1958)

Thanks to Caroline’s Miscellany for the spot.

Written by John Bull
John Bull is the Editor of London Reconnections. A transport journalist and historian, his writing often focuses on the political or strategic challenges facing London's transport network and beyond.