“When I was at school I liked art.” Says Michèle Dix CBE, Managing Director of Crossrail 2, when we ask her how she began her journey to the world of London transport. “I liked drawing, creating stuff and science. And then someone mentioned engineering and I thought ‘well civil engineering actually combines those.’ ” “So I did civil engineering and liked it.” She explains. “But the bit I liked was actually the transport stuff. I don’t know why! But I just liked transport ...
“Today is a landmark day for transport in London,” London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan said on 12 September 2016. “It wasn’t right that Londoners had to pay twice simply to change buses.” It is a deceptively simple statement for what was, ultimately, the delivery of one of his first transport manifesto pledges: The Hopper ticket. This ticket will allow all travel smartcard users to make a second bus or tram trip within an hour of boarding their first bus or tram at no extra cost. Two for one ...
A TfL presentation delivered to Sadiq Khan, the newly elected Mayor of London, has surfaced online. It offers an insight into the transport announcements we can expect in the near future. It also indicates a clear commitment by TfL to delivering the Mayor’s manifesto pledges with particular focus on the Ultra Low Emission Zone. Delivering Your Manifesto, which first appeared on the BBC News website on Friday, showcases an intriguing mix of Sadiq Khan’s mayoral campaign and TfL branding. It ...
Transport for London has unveiled its new design bible, the ‘Design Idiom’. We talk to some of its creators about their quest to change the way London Underground thinks about station design.
This weekend saw the addition of 28 new stations to TfL’s hugely successful Overground network. Rail services running from Liverpool Street to Enfield Town, Cheshunt and Chingford in North East London, as well as the rail link between Romford and Upminster are now all under the jurisdiction of TfL. The takeover marks a major step forward for TfL in their campaign to take over more of the Capital’s railway network. They built their case on the back of their creation of the London Overground ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Matthew Dickinson on Mind the Branding Gap: First Crossrail Services to Launch as TfL Rail (20:00, 10 December 2017)
- RogerB on In The Quest for Rear-Entrance, Is The True Routemaster Legacy Being Lost? (19:13, 10 December 2017)
- Latecomer on Friday Reads – December 8, 2017 (15:59, 10 December 2017)
- ngh on Kent Route Study (Part 3): Victoria Metro Services (12:47, 9 December 2017)
- Greg Tingey on Garden Bridge Review: Clive Walker Transcript (09:25, 8 December 2017)
8 December, 2017
7 December, 2017
6 December, 2017
5 December, 2017
4 December, 2017
1 December, 2017
30 November, 2017
- Original Birmingham tram fleet auction (Transport for West Midlands) on
- Mind the Branding Gap: First Crossrail Services to Launch as TfL Rail on
- In The Quest for Rear-Entrance, Is The True Routemaster Legacy Being Lost? on
- Friday Reads – December 8, 2017 on
- Kent Route Study (Part 3): Victoria Metro Services on