Popular appreciation of London Underground’s 1930s Modernist Tube station buildings has kept them well in the public eye. There was an equivalent programme, however, during the same decade at remote outposts of London Transport’s empire in the counties surrounding London. Thanks to an estate of run-down bus garages, London Transport’s Country Bus department enjoyed a renewal and replacement programme which left it with some Modernist and Streamline Moderne buildings that reflect their ...
Last weekend saw a variety of buses displayed on Regent Street and an open day at Stockwell Bus Garage – both events staged as part of TfL’s “Year of the Bus.” A selection of photos from both events can be found below. More photos of the buses present can be found here on flickr. Trolleybus 1768 Possibly the one and only time that a LT Trolleybus has graced Regent Street. 1768 is a Q1 Trolleybus that has been superbly restored and is seen here blinded for the 667 which ...
Somewhat out of the blue FirstGroup have announced the sale of eight of their bus garages in the capital. First began a rationalisation of their bus operations last year, and further sales had been expected, but eight garages is more than many expected. The full press release is below. As part of FirstGroup’s stated strategy to reposition its UK Bus division to focus on those areas that offer the greatest potential for growth, it has today announced the sale of eight of its London bus ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- methers on CS11 London: City of Westminster v TfL (23:05, 20 September 2018)
- 100andthirty on Holy Grails and Thameslink Fails (part 2): The plan that went wrong (22:35, 20 September 2018)
- DONALD MACKINNON on Friday Reads – 14 September 2018 (11:21, 20 September 2018)
- 100andthirty on Streamlined Modernity: Frank Pick’s Forgotten Bus Garages (07:33, 20 September 2018)
- Malcolm on Crossrail: A Hole New World (16:03, 19 September 2018)