• South Wales Metro & Cardiff tram-train Crossrail proposals (BusinessLive) • Congress moves to ban Chinese made railcars (NextCity) • Circular radial map of Indianapolis railroads & interurbans (TransitMaps) • Retrofitting surburbia – building on mall parking lots (CBC) • Oil interests funding opposition to Phoenix LRT plans (StreetsBLog) • The most common view of America when travelling (CityLab) • Indian Railways’ commandos to be deployed in Kashmir ...
Just outside London, a test is underway to see if it’s possible to power commuter trains by solar power. One of the biggest benefits would be efficiency, as a conventional solar supply pumps into the National Grid, which converts the solar array’s DC electricity into its AC requirements. When the National Grid supplies it to the railways to power their trains, it’s turned back into DC supply — and that conversion process loses around 4-5% of the electricity originally generated. Cut the ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- L on Crossrail: Progressing but slipping (18:28, 11 November 2019)
- AlisonW on Friday Reads – 22 November 2019 (21:18, 8 November 2019)
- Neil on The Rise and Fall of a Vision: Wrightbus Enters Administration (11:02, 8 November 2019)
- Aleks on London’s First Highway: The East London River Crossings (10:11, 8 November 2019)
- Littlejohn on Monday’s Friday Reads – 4 November 2019 (14:29, 7 November 2019)