On 3 January 2018, the London Assembly Budget and Performance Committee sat down with TfL to go through their current budget. Discussion largely focused on the various pressures on TfL’s finances – from the removal of TfL’s government grant, to fare freezes and falling advertising revenues. About two and a half hours in, however, Assembly Member Caroline Pidgeon asked a question: “In here, there’s a line… £850m capital receipt… what exactly is this?” The reply, from Simon ...
Welcome to Reconnections’ Friday Reads. This week’s lineup: • Kew Gardens’ private underground railway (IanVisits) • Is Britain’s rail franchising system fit for purpose? [paywall] (Financial Times) • Global underground/metro typography [many images] (Prototypr) • Train passengers double between Berlin and Munich (The Local) • Vienna’s new central railway through running station (Global Rail News) • If a distressed Liam Neeson boards your train – this is ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Greg Tingey on Crossrail: Breaking Down the Crisis (08:37, 14 December 2018)
- Herned on Crossrail: A Hole New World (09:45, 13 December 2018)
- Aleks on Further Oyster Expansion Beyond London Under Discussion (20:05, 12 December 2018)
- Pedantic of Purley on The London Reconnections 2018 Christmas Quiz (19:42, 12 December 2018)
- ngh on Back to the Future: (Re)lengthening and Shortening at Waterloo (07:07, 11 December 2018)