The branch line from Grove Park to Bromley North is only one and a half miles long. It has but two stations (excluding Grove Park itself) and those two are ridiculously close to each other. Traffic by London standards is pretty minimal and indeed there is no service on Sundays. Despite this, the branch attracts attention like no other in London because of the conviction of many people from the Mayor downwards that this is really an under-utilised asset that could be used more effectively. Here ...
Our previous excursion into the disused City Widened Lines beneath Smithfield prompted a certain amount of thought. The opportunity arose thanks to the need to carry out compensation grouting ahead of the passage of the Crossrail TBMs below, leading to the Line’s being temporarily occupied by Crossrail themselves as a worksite. Given the length and route of the Crossrail tunnels therefore, and the likely need for grouting elsewhere, what other sites within the City might this present a rare ...
New story alerts
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Alex McKenna on The Importance of Being Earnest: Making the Case for Crossrail 2 (21:02, 26 June 2017)
- Littlejohn on TfL Confirm Gap in Croxley Rail Link Funding (18:59, 26 June 2017)
- Verulamius on Govia go via Greenwich: GTR and the Thameslink Timetable (17:37, 26 June 2017)
- Graham H on High Speed Buffers (Part 4): Terminal Policies and Priorities (20:28, 25 June 2017)
- NickBxn on Second Time Lucky: Rebuilding Camden Town Station (14:14, 24 June 2017)