The branch line from Grove Park to Bromley North is only one and a half miles long. It has but two stations (excluding Grove Park itself) and those two are ridiculously close to each other. Traffic by London standards is pretty minimal and indeed there is no service on Sundays. Despite this, the branch attracts attention like no other in London because of the conviction of many people from the Mayor downwards that this is really an under-utilised asset that could be used more effectively. Here ...
Our previous excursion into the disused City Widened Lines beneath Smithfield prompted a certain amount of thought. The opportunity arose thanks to the need to carry out compensation grouting ahead of the passage of the Crossrail TBMs below, leading to the Line’s being temporarily occupied by Crossrail themselves as a worksite. Given the length and route of the Crossrail tunnels therefore, and the likely need for grouting elsewhere, what other sites within the City might this present a rare ...
New story alerts
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- timbeau on Friday Reads – May 19, 2017 (23:20, 23 May 2017)
- IslandDweller on One of the Family: Crossrail’s Transition to Being a Tube (22:28, 23 May 2017)
- @Fred on Bakerloo Déjà Vu: Buying New Trains for the DLR (16:49, 22 May 2017)
- Walthamstow Writer on Upgrading the Piccadilly: Calling Time on Mind the Gap? (09:24, 22 May 2017)
- timbeau on Tanners Hill Flydown – Part 2 (21:09, 21 May 2017)