Through the Blitz and beyond, the part the Underground played in World War Two was a complex one. Nowhere was this more true than the role it played in sheltering the civilian populace from aerial attack. The part platforms at places like Aldwych played, and the tragedy at Bethnal Green are now relatively well known. What is perhaps less well known, however, is the role played by the Deep Level Shelters - the remains of which can still be seen at street level.
Opened by the London, Chatham & Dover Railway in 1865, the branch line to Crystal Palace High Level station was built to serve the Crystal Palace. The destruction of Paxton's glass wonder saw a serious decline in traffic and the branch line finally closed in 1954, but some elements still remain if you know where to look.
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Malcolm on Holy Grails and Thameslink Fails (Part 1): A Brief History of Thameslink (22:08, 17 June 2018)
- Aleks on Upgrading the Piccadilly (18:02, 17 June 2018)
- B&T on The Cicadas Take Flight: Explaining The May Timetable Changes (11:03, 16 June 2018)
- ROGER FLETCHER on Angels and Errors: How the Harrow & Wealdstone Disaster Helped Shape Modern Britain (10:12, 16 June 2018)
- timbeau on Thameslink The Musical Act 4, Scene 3: The Grayling Letter (23:07, 15 June 2018)