Batteries for new cars will require a lot of new mining. Politicians love to tout incentives for electric vehicles as a great climate initiative. Replacing gas- and diesel-powered vehicles, they say, will reduce emissions and help us meet our climate targets. It’s a very simple vision of sustainability, but it won’t actually deliver the benefits they promise. The idea that everything about our societies can essentially stay the same as long as we replace the engines in our two-ton ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Leo on Night Trains – They’re not dead yet (14:28, 20 July 2019)
- Jim Jordan on Friday Reads – 19 July 2019 (10:23, 20 July 2019)
- Brian Butterworth on SSR: Towards the Proposed March 2020 Timetable (10:57, 19 July 2019)
- Aleks on Monday’s Friday Reads – 15 July 2019 (19:59, 17 July 2019)
- timbeau on Hammersmith Bridge: The signs are not good. (22:07, 16 July 2019)