When Stockholm, Sweden introduced a “congestion tax” to discourage driving in the center of town, traffic eased and the pollution level dropped by between 5 and 10 percent. There was one other result that was unexpected, but welcome nonetheless: The rate of asthma attacks among local children decreased by nearly 50 percent, according to a Johns Hopkins University economist’s study of the tax and its impact. The health improvement in children appeared more gradually than the ...
00:01 hours on Monday 8th April 2019 saw the introduction of the so-called Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ). We look at the past, present and future of low emission zones in London, what is trying to be achieved and why, for now, the ULEZ is a bit of hyperbole, but important nonetheless. It is not just a transport issue One of the pre-conceptions often exacerbated by the way harmful emissions are covered in the news is that they are fundamentally a transport issue. This isn’t the full ...
• 1858: Designing London’s sewers (TheEngineer) • Hovertrain, the British hyperloop of the 1970s (Wired) • Bilbao unofficial circular metro map (TransitMap) • Transit boards should represent the people they serve (MobilityLab) • NYC’s Lowline underground park going ahead (Guardian) • Kids protest $10B poisonous idling habit (Forbes) • Jakarta’s first metro line opens (JakartaPost) • World’s 10 best designed bus stations (Designcurial) Whilst you await the next ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- KeplerNiko on Friday Reads – 16 August 2019 (22:58, 17 August 2019)
- Mark Townend on A short history of Crossrail 2 (Part 1) (19:57, 17 August 2019)
- anthony collyer on Hammersmith Bridge: The signs are not good. (10:59, 17 August 2019)
- Paul S on Monday’s Friday Reads – 12 August 2019 (20:02, 16 August 2019)
- Betterbee on Monday’s Friday Reads – 5 August 2019 (02:23, 12 August 2019)