Problems plague push for electric buses When Chinese battery maker BYD Ltd. approached Southern California officials in 2008 touting ambitious plans to build electric cars, local politicians jumped at the promise of thousands of jobs and cleaner air. In the nine years since, agencies have awarded BYD grants, subsidies and public contracts worth more than $330 million for its battery-powered buses, forklifts and trucks. The company is positioned to be a prime supplier of electric buses to the ...
Some species of American cicadas have evolved a strange ability: they have synchronised lifecycles lasting prime number lengths of years. For the cicadas this is an advantage – it helps them evade the development of specialist predators. For nearby farmers and the environment, however, it can be anything but – some years it means the sudden emergence of an overwhelming number of adults at the same time, seemingly without warning. Sometimes National Rail timetable changes have a lot ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Richard Charter on The Past, Present and Future of Metropolitan Line Services: Part 1 (08:45, 21 October 2018)
- Greg Tingey on Friday Reads – 19 October 2018 (10:37, 21 October 2018)
- Southern Heights (Light Railway) on Fare Whom The Bell Tolls: The end of the TfL Ticket Office? (08:04, 21 October 2018)
- Greg Tingey on Transforming Oxford Street Part 2: A Real Regeneration (09:53, 21 October 2018)
- Aleks on TfL Make Changes To Bus Transfer Tickets (21:07, 20 October 2018)