“There’s a great story to be told of British and London transport expertise, which is being sought out once again” Andy Byford, then-CEO of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), mused when we last saw him at the UITP Global Public Transport Conference in Montréal in May 2017. Now he faces a larger challenge – New York. Andy Byford accepting the Transit Champion Award from TTCRiders CEO of the TTC since 2012, Byford led a renaissance of the underfunded and downtrodden ...
In 1990, China, then a country with a population of just over 1.1 billion inhabitants, had only three metro systems—located in Beijing, Hong Kong and Tianjin. Fast forward a mere 27 years later and the number of urban transit systems has grown more than ten-fold. As Peter Dovak, creator of “The Evolution of China’s Metro Systems” graphic explains, Growth was modest for many years, but has become exponentially more rapid over time and now dwarfs the rest of the ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Greg Tingey on The Waterloo Link (14:43, 23 July 2018)
- Ben on Kent Route Study (Part 3): Victoria Metro Services (14:28, 23 July 2018)
- The Orange One on Crossrail: The Western Approach? (12:57, 23 July 2018)
- Greg Tingey on Friday Reads – 13 July 2018 (14:40, 23 July 2018)
- 1956 on Beyond Thameslink and Crossrail: A London Transport Update (12:50, 23 July 2018)