Until recently, the idea of fully electric commercial flight wasn’t even on my radar. But as battery costs come down dramatically, this prospect is moving from (ahem) pie-in-the-sky to a very real possibility within the next decade or so. The trouble is, we need to start cutting carbon now. Luckily, electrification isn’t always an all-or-nothing proposition, especially in a plane with several engines. A new partnership from Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Siemens appears to take advantage of ...
Welcome to Reconnections’ Friday Reads. This week’s lineup: • Average journey times of trains into London in 1968 (Spatial.ly) • Capacity Relief at Camden Town station – Talk 9 Jan 2018 (LURS) • UPS making some London holiday deliveries with electric bike trailers (Tree Hugger) • Art photos of Tube stations (Londonist) • Upcycling old Montréal Métro cars (CityMetric) • New NYC subway cars will have wider doors (Village Voice) • NY Times’ super-commenters ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Nameless on Friday Reads – 19 October 2018 (00:26, 21 October 2018)
- dm1 on Transforming Oxford Street Part 2: A Real Regeneration (23:51, 20 October 2018)
- Graham H on Fare Whom The Bell Tolls: The end of the TfL Ticket Office? (21:25, 20 October 2018)
- Aleks on TfL Make Changes To Bus Transfer Tickets (21:07, 20 October 2018)
- ngh on Holy Grails and Thameslink Fails (part 2): The plan that went wrong (17:18, 18 October 2018)