An experiment is under way that will soon see heat from tube train tunnels being used to heat homes and businesses around parts of Islington. It’s all part of the Bunhill Energy Centre, an experiment in modern electricity power plants that avoids dumping surplus heat into the atmosphere as waste, and instead pumps it via underground pipes to local homes. Completed in the winter of 2012, the 2km of pipes under the streets links a number of local council estates and a few businesses up to a ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Southern Heights (Light Railway) on Friday Reads – 19 January 2018 (17:24, 21 January 2018)
- 100andthirty on Leasing Lizzie: Finding the Funds for Deep Tube (14:48, 21 January 2018)
- Briantist on Purple Train: A Look At Crossrail’s Rolling Stock (15:05, 19 January 2018)
- Jock on In Pictures: Kings Cross In The Fifties (09:47, 19 January 2018)
- Ben on The Metropolitan Line Extension: Deadline Day (14:27, 17 January 2018)