An experiment is under way that will soon see heat from tube train tunnels being used to heat homes and businesses around parts of Islington. It’s all part of the Bunhill Energy Centre, an experiment in modern electricity power plants that avoids dumping surplus heat into the atmosphere as waste, and instead pumps it via underground pipes to local homes. Completed in the winter of 2012, the 2km of pipes under the streets links a number of local council estates and a few businesses up to a ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Greg Tingey on Friday Reads – 20 July 2018 (21:02, 22 July 2018)
- Southern Heights (Light Railway) on Beyond Thameslink and Crossrail: A London Transport Update (12:03, 22 July 2018)
- Greg Tingey on Crossrail: The Western Approach? (10:10, 22 July 2018)
- Graham Feakins on In Pictures: A Walk On The Widened Lines (23:11, 21 July 2018)
- Man of Kent on Holy Grails and Thameslink Fails (part 2): The plan that went wrong (22:50, 21 July 2018)