“Gate line barriers are now a norm at all but the most rural stations in the UK, and this is the situation in many other developed countries. Experience showed that open-access stations led to a rapid increase in fraudulent travel, with on-train ticket checks only recovering a small percentage of the lost revenue, and thus gate free stations are not an option in the foreseeable future. “The regular commuter with an electronically encoded ticket or a smart bank card knows precisely ...
New story alerts
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- timbeau on Friday Reads – May 19, 2017 (23:20, 23 May 2017)
- IslandDweller on One of the Family: Crossrail’s Transition to Being a Tube (22:28, 23 May 2017)
- @Fred on Bakerloo Déjà Vu: Buying New Trains for the DLR (16:49, 22 May 2017)
- Walthamstow Writer on Upgrading the Piccadilly: Calling Time on Mind the Gap? (09:24, 22 May 2017)
- timbeau on Tanners Hill Flydown – Part 2 (21:09, 21 May 2017)