In 1926 artist Montague Black, famous for his work with the White Star Line, created a new piece of art for London Underground. According to the painting in 2026 the city would be dominated by two things: the aeroplane and the “Overground Line.” This might seem remarkably prescient. Black’s Overground though was not run by the trains, but by a form of passenger transport far more remarkable and now practically forgotten by the general public – airships. Black’s painting isn’t the ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Malcolm on Friday Reads – 22 March 2019 (11:56, 23 March 2019)
- Taz on Operation Umbrella: Rebuilding Oxford Circus (04:11, 23 March 2019)
- DJL on Leasing Lizzie: Finding the Funds for Deep Tube (17:55, 22 March 2019)
- Chris on 2018 Quiz: Results and Winners (01:54, 20 March 2019)
- ngh on A Study in Sussex Part 5: Up The Junction (14:47, 19 March 2019)