Every year, a vintage bus service runs from Warminster to the abandoned village of Imber on Salisbury Plain. With all profits going to charity, it’s an interesting opportunity to travel on a Routemaster outside of its natural environment. This year that special service runs on the 3rd August. A Routemaster on route 23A to Imber It’s also a rare opportunity to see Imber Village itself, which was taken over by the military in World War Two, evacuated and used as by American troops to ...
On March 10th 1987 a test run on the then-under-construction Docklands Light Railway (DLR) almost ended in disaster, when the train failed to stop at then-terminus Island Gardens. With overrun protection still incomplete, the train was left hanging precariously over the end of the the viaduct. The DLR train hanging over the edge at Island Gardens in 1987 Luckily no-one was injured, and in May Modern Railways confirmed that the accident was primarily caused by unauthorised testing before key ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Sad Fat Dad on Friday Reads – 14 December 2018 (14:57, 15 December 2018)
- Aleks on Crossrail: Breaking Down the Crisis (15:59, 15 December 2018)
- Herned on Crossrail: A Hole New World (09:45, 13 December 2018)
- Aleks on Further Oyster Expansion Beyond London Under Discussion (20:05, 12 December 2018)
- Pedantic of Purley on The London Reconnections 2018 Christmas Quiz (19:42, 12 December 2018)