Every year, a vintage bus service runs from Warminster to the abandoned village of Imber on Salisbury Plain. With all profits going to charity, it’s an interesting opportunity to travel on a Routemaster outside of its natural environment. This year that special service runs on the 3rd August. A Routemaster on route 23A to Imber It’s also a rare opportunity to see Imber Village itself, which was taken over by the military in World War Two, evacuated and used as by American troops to ...
On March 10th 1987 a test run on the then-under-construction Docklands Light Railway (DLR) almost ended in disaster, when the train failed to stop at then-terminus Island Gardens. With overrun protection still incomplete, the train was left hanging precariously over the end of the the viaduct. The DLR train hanging over the edge at Island Gardens in 1987 Luckily no-one was injured, and in May Modern Railways confirmed that the accident was primarily caused by unauthorised testing before key ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- timbeau on Night Trains – They’re not dead yet (23:20, 15 July 2019)
- quinlet on Monday’s Friday Reads – 15 July 2019 (21:50, 15 July 2019)
- Nameless on Hammersmith Bridge: The signs are not good. (10:37, 15 July 2019)
- John on Friday Reads – 12 July 2019 (05:45, 14 July 2019)
- quinlet on Monday’s Friday Reads – 8 July 2019 (21:44, 9 July 2019)