With Crossrail under construction and extensions to both the Bakerloo and Northern Line being mooted, it seems a pertinent time to provide a brief reminder into some of the whys and wherefores for those less familiar with subsurface engineering and London’s underground history. One lesson quickly learnt by the early entrepreneurs who built early tube lines (and by this, as for the duration of the article, we mean the deep level lines) was that the longer the line and the bigger the ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Malcolm on The London Reconnections 2017 Christmas Quiz (17:38, 15 December 2017)
- Long Branch Mike on Friday Reads – December 15, 2017 (15:27, 15 December 2017)
- answer=42 on Garden Bridge Review: Isabel Dedring Transcript (12:56, 15 December 2017)
- ngh on Important Information About LR December Drinks! (09:54, 14 December 2017)
- Walthamstow Writer on Mind the Branding Gap: First Crossrail Services to Launch as TfL Rail (21:14, 13 December 2017)