“Opening new railways is London is less a case of building new ones and more a case of finding old bits you can reopen.” – Howard Smith, COO of TfL London Rail “When they see the Roundel people expect quality. We thought hard about putting it on the Overground. We’ll think hard about where it goes in future.” – Peter Hendy, London Transport Commissioner In the first part of our series on the future of London Overground, we stepped back and took a look at ...
In the first part of this trip into the Overground’s future, we spent a considerable amount of time in the past (you can find that article here). Doing so may on the surface have seemed counter-intuitive, but it was necessary. This is because the future of the Overground falls largely into to parts – parts which might possibly be described as the “direct” and the “indirect.” The “direct” is the improvements which need to be made to the existing ...
In March 2011, 96.7% of London Overground services arrived on time, ranking the line second out of all rail services monitored by Network Rail’s performance surveys. In April, the slightly lower figure of 96.3% was achieved, enough to move the Operator into first place for that month. Indeed the cumulative total for the last 12 months currently stands at 94.9%, putting London Overground above all other Operators in terms of performance. They’re impressive numbers, especially when ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- IslandDweller on ULEZ: Why The (Slightly) Lower Emission Zone Matters (18:16, 26 May 2019)
- timbeau on Friday Reads – 24 May 2019 (16:11, 26 May 2019)
- Margret Thatcher on The Importance of Being Earnest: Making the Case for Crossrail 2 (14:17, 26 May 2019)
- Long Branch Mike on Monday’s Friday Reads – 20 May 2019 (12:53, 26 May 2019)
- timbeau on In Pictures: Overground Class 710s Enter Service (21:44, 25 May 2019)