The DfT and Southern have confirmed that Smitham Station will be renamed to “Coulsdon Town.” The station opened as Smitham in 1904, when Smitham Bottom and Old Coulsdon were still relatively distinct entities. By the First World War, however, housing infill had resulted in the effective merger of the two areas and the two collectively became Coulsdon. Coulsdon then became officially part of Croydon under the 1963 London Government Act. In recent years there has been a degree of local ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- anthony collyer on Hammersmith Bridge: The signs are not good. (10:59, 17 August 2019)
- Simon Colenutt on Friday Reads – 16 August 2019 (07:08, 17 August 2019)
- Graham H on A short history of Crossrail 2 (Part 1) (22:31, 16 August 2019)
- Paul S on Monday’s Friday Reads – 12 August 2019 (20:02, 16 August 2019)
- Betterbee on Monday’s Friday Reads – 5 August 2019 (02:23, 12 August 2019)