On Thursday 17th June, the new Ministerial team at the DfT faced their first parliamentary question time. Falling in the midst of spending review and budget statements there were several holding answers. A number of questions of local interest came up, however. Our comments are in italics. Dartford Crossing 2. Mr John Whittingdale (Maldon) (Con): If he will take steps to reduce congestion at the Dartford crossing.  The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport (Mike Penning): ...
London is to get its first ‘Countdown’ timers, which will help people know how long they have to cross the road. These are different to the Countdown describers at bus stops, which confusingly have the same name. TfL claim these timers will help keep the traffic moving, and would cause fewer accidents. A total of 1,055 pedestrians were killed or seriously injured on London’s roads in 2009 – a reduction of 52 per cent compared to the mid to late 1990s. The Mayor, Boris Johnson, ...
New story alerts
Back us on Patreon
LR is built on community support. Just £1 a month helps us keep writing.Back us on Patreon
Join us for a pint! Our meetups are on the 2nd Thursday of every month.
Recent Active Articles
- Alan Griffiths on Crossrail: The Dangerous Sound of Silence (10:44, 16 June 2019)
- 100andthirty on Bakerloo Déjà Vu: Buying New Trains for the DLR (07:56, 16 June 2019)
- Graham H on Monday’s Friday Reads – 10 June 2019 (07:59, 15 June 2019)
- Taz on Upgrading the Piccadilly (05:31, 15 June 2019)
- Ben on Friday Reads – 14 June 2019 (20:07, 14 June 2019)